The mission statement of the Development Services Department is: "To provide the City of Brownwood with a proactive approach to code compliance, affording due process to citizens using the Code Procedures with a goal of a clean City."
Responsibilities of this department include:
- Checks zoning and variance requests
- Code compliance
- Exercises general inspection supervision over all public and private construction work
- Issues all permits required by the City
- Provides staff assistance for boards and commissions
- Zoning Board of Adjustment
- Building and Standards Commission
- Unified Board of Appeals
- Historical Building Review Committee
The department has 15 employees:
- 1 Director
- 1 Building and Standards Official II
- 1 Building Services Liaison
- 2 Combination Building Inspectors (Building, Electrical, Plumbing, Mechanical)
- 2 Code Compliance Officers
- 1 Assistant Administrator
- 2 Property Maintenance Staff
- 2 Facility Maintenance Staff
- 3 Temporary Seasonal Laborers
This department has 3 goals:
- To ensure community compliance with all codes in accordance with City Ordinances and standard specifications
- To provide adequate engineering and inspection services for the City of Brownwood
- To provide timely and accurate information in regards to citizen requests to the commissions to which the department gives staff assistance
The department strives to meet the following objectives:
- Continue a proactive approach to code compliance.
- Continue to provide adequate staff support and training to related boards.
- Increase public awareness of purpose of permits and inspections.