The Brownwood/ Brown County Health Department received many questions and concerns about the first positive COVID-19 case in our county. Because this patient followed guidelines of self-quarantine and listened to health care providers, our community is at less risk for local transmission of COVID-19 at this time. We thank her for doing the right thing.
We have opened two informational lines at the Brownwood/Brown County Health Department to provide general information and help determine your risk of having COVID-19.
No COVID-19 tests are collected at the Health Department. You must go through your health care provider to be tested. Your health care provider will coordinate the testing through the health department or might use a commercial lab.
If your employer has asked you not to come to work due to illness, the Health Department cannot provide a release to allow you to return to work.
If you have been advised to self-quarantine you must adhere to the recommendations. This is critically important to prevent community spread of COVID-19.
Please remember to:
- Stay home when you are sick, except when medical care is needed – please call your doctor before you arrive.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue and throw it away.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for al least 20 seconds – often. If soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Clean frequently touched surfaces and objects daily.
- Practice Social Distancing